Arm Compiler Qualification Kit
– Confidence in Arm Tools, Confidence in Your Systems
Compilers are critically important to safety-related applications as they generate the code that will run on the target system. The Arm® Compiler Qualification Kit targets the safety-related software developer and provides vital information about toolchain operation, recommended usage, and diagnostic capabilities.
The Safety Manual plays an important role, informing users how to set up and operate the toolchain components of the Arm Compiler toolchain to minimize the chance of undetected safety-related faults.
- Description of the high level safety-related faults that the components of Arm Compiler can generate.
- Description of the communication between the tools, which shows how faults might propagate.
- Mitigation strategies that can be followed to prevent or work-around faults.
- Identification of specific behavior of toolchain components of Arm Compiler that can be unsafe if used incorrectly.
The Test Report provides C language conformance test results, demonstrating that the compiler generates correct output based on ISO C90 and C99 C language conformant input. The Test Report contains:
- C conformance test results
- Description of the environment and compiler settings used to generate the test results
- Explanation of any deviations from a 100% pass-rate
Development Process Document
It is often impractical to travel to the vendor’s site to gain an insight into the development of a toolchain. The Development Process document provides insight into the internal software development process used to produce the compilation toolchain. The Development Process document outlines the following:
- Procedures for requirements and defect management
- Procedures for configuration management
- Traceability between source code commits and defects or requirements
- Testing strategy and validation procedures
- Release management procedures
Users don’t generally have visibility of vendor-detected defects due to internal testing or of defects reported by other users of the product. The Defect Report contains a listing of all known safety-related defects found through internal testing and from external defect reports. The Defect Report contains:
- A description of each issue
- Conditions necessary for the issue to appear
- Example code for reproducing the issue
- How to avoid the issue
TÜV Certified Build Tools
The Arm Compiler 5 is certified by TÜV SÜD, confirming that it fulfils the requirements for development tools classified T3 according to IEC 61508-3. This enables you to apply the Arm Compiler 5 for safety- related development up to SIL3 (IEC 61508) or ASILD (ISO 26262) without further qualification activities when following the recommendations and conditions documented in the Qualification Kit.
Arm Compiler Extended Maintenance
Once the justification argument is made for a particular toolchain, that evidence can be used for future projects, but toolchain obsolescence becomes an issue as most toolchain vendors don’t maintain older versions for more than 1-2 years. The Arm Compiler Extended Maintenance program helps protect your investment by providing long-term maintenance of the toolchain.